Curios, baubles, tchotchkes...not to mention books: We have them, and we want to show them off. The solution, of course, is shelving - but skip the big-box units and get some shelving skills. We've compiled 11 simple shelving projects to put your cool stuff on open display.
Here's what you'll find inside:
- Bookshelf and Wine Rack: Build a modular and multi-purpose storage solution.
- Egg Crate Shelves: Half-lap joints hold this stylish modern piece together.
- Floating Shelves: Wrap the grain around a miter joint with this staple of contemporary design.
- Library Magazine Rack: Keep your magazines in order with this wall-hung solution.
- Corner Shelf: Butt joints make this handsome hanging storage unit a snap to build.
- Contemporary Shelves: Get high style with home-store construction lumber.
- Shaker Shelf: Learn to make a simple drawer for this Shaker-inspired hanging shelf.
- Stacking Bookshelves: These stacking boxes, sized to fit common books, are easy to build and move.
- Traditional Hanging Shelves: A budget alternative to custom shelves, these hanging shelves are proven to please.
- Four-hour Bookcase: Simple techniques such as dado routing, toenailing and tongue-and-groove paneling let you build an afternoon bookshelf.
- Hanging Shelves: Decorative joinery, hidden shelf supports and a discreet hanging method mark this attractive wall piece.