The ball & claw foot is an iconic piece of 18th-century woodworking and the pierced design is considered the pinnacle of that design. Alf Sharp has been carving beautiful details on furniture for more than 30 years and in this video he shares his skill and experience in creating this classic furniture in detail. In this digital download you’ll learn:
- The proper carving tools to use for different cuts
- To mark out the blank so the foot is properly proportioned
- How to shape the ball for a successful “round” look
- To detail the claws in the pierced method
- The carving steps to give the tendons on the leg a dramatic look.
Follow Alf’s step-by-step video instruction and you’ll learn how to carve your own ball & claw masterpiece.
The instruction in this video was originally included in Alf Sharp’s Create a Newport Tea Table video.
About the Host
Alf Sharp has more than 30 years in the studio furniture field, and has built commissioned work for a number of historic homes and museums, as well as many private and corporate clients. His work centers on museum-quality, one-of-a-kind furniture, primarily in the 18th-century American style. He has been featured on Colonial Homes magazine and in leading woodworking magazines. Alf’s website is alfredsharp.com.